GAICAM INTERNATIONAL FELLOWSHIP
About the FELLOWSHIP
The GAICAM International Leadership and Entrepreneurial Fellowship (GAILEF) is a flagship program of Go-Africa Initiative Cameroon (GAICAM) which brings together young leaders and entrepreneurs from across Africa to orientate and train them on sustainable leadership and entrepreneurial competences, such that, they can contribute to the growth of their communities, nations and the continent at large, in an effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders, young leaders and potential entrepreneurs who will serve as pavements to the emergence of Africa at large. The core preoccupation of the Fellowship is to put young people at the center of decision making, aimed at exploring ways in which African young leaders and entrepreneurs can engage with their governments and communities in finding sustainable solutions to urgent socio-economic and political challenges plaguing Africa and the whole world today.
The GAICAM International Fellowship is a ten (10) months intensive transformational program which yearly trains about 100 aspiring and emerging leaders and young entrepreneurs. This program offers an excellent platform to strengthen young people’s transformational leadership capabilities and to challenge them to kick-start entrepreneurial and community initiatives so they can massively contribute to the economic, social and environmental development of their respective communities, as well as their nation. The fellowship equally seek to offer an exceptional platform to promote the implementation of global goals such as the Sustainable Development Goals, United Nations Millennium Development, agenda 2030, and the 16 Commonwealth Core Values.
Ever since its inception in 2016, this program has helped it’s beneficiaries to create new business ventures and new community initiatives spurring economic growth, promoting good governance, enhancing peace in local communities, and thus, fostering national unity. The Fellowship has helped hundreds of young people to create startup businesses, community initiative groups and groomed many young community leaders who are today championing development in their respective communities.
As such, this initiative is expected to continue creating new businesses, reducing unemployment and improving the living standards of citizens. We believe there are no short cuts to the development of mindsets and abilities; it demands training, discipline, focus and above all, leadership and entrepreneurial skills, which are of paramount importance in our journey towards the pinnacle of emergence and excellence in Africa.
We recognize and understand the need to help young people think beyond their certificates and the confines of their survival. Thus, developing the strongest most diverse talents and equipping potential leaders with quality skills, capable of enabling them achieve better results, is our preoccupation.
It is part of our vision that young leaders are co-opted and businesses are created to speed up the growth of their communities and Africa at large. Worthy of note is the fact that, a thriving nation implies a thriving economy; however, a thriving economy does not just happen in isolation without initiators and innovators. As such, we aim at inspiring graduates, young leaders and entrepreneurs, especially young women to become creative so they become exceptional pace setters their fields, and live a life of legacy.
Text on the button
This program is a game changer aimed at creating opportunities for young people with the main objective of reducing youth unemployment by providing a platform to enhance their leadership skills and to challenge them to kick-start entrepreneurial activities so they can contribute to the economic, social and environmental development of their communities. This initiative is expected to create new businesses and spur economic growth, promoting good governance and national unity while enhancing peace and security across the continent, and the world at large.
Thus, GAILEF is geared at raising the next generation of transformational leaders who will engage with their governments and local communities towards finding sustainable solutions to urgent socio-economic and political challenges plaguing Africa and the whole world today.
The specific objectives of the fellowship include:
- To annually organize a ten (10) months fellowship to train one hundred (100) dynamic young leaders and entrepreneurs from across Africa on sustainable leadership and entrepreneurial development
- Spur and support over 100 aspiring/emerging young leaders/entrepreneurs through training and coaching to kick-start entrepreneurial ventures and community initiative groups, as well as leadership actives in their respective communities, serving as pavements to the growth and development of their communities and nations.
- To inspire, motivate and empower participants with necessary skills to enable them be more flexible, productive, industrious and resourceful to their communities.
- To provide a suitable platform for participants to gainfully improve on their communication skills, creativity and positive personality traits, through the fellowship activities, enabling them become successful leaders and influential public speakers.
- To empower young people on peace building efforts, providing them with tools for promoting peace in their communities as community mediators.
- To contribute in promoting the global goals, while promoting and enhancing the exchange of ideas and cultural interactions/interventions between the North-South and South-South.
- To provide participants with a common platform which enables young leaders and entrepreneurs to network with prominent leaders, nation builders, successful entrepreneurs, business organizations, and international institutions, paving a way for them to think out of the box and see beyond the confines of their survival.
Our EXPECTED RESULTS
- A significant increase in the number of businesses created by 2021, boosting economic growth and reducing the rate of youth unemployment by creating over 200 jobs for young people.
- An increase in skilled young community leaders by 2035, equipped with sustainable leadership skills for stable and vibrant community growth in line with the 2030 agenda.
- 90% of fellows are expected to be well grounded with sustainable leadership and entrepreneurial skills, interpersonal skills, good governance and the concept of legacy leadership.
- An improvement in the communication and public speaking and also boost self-confidence of fellows, making them better public speakers and community mediators.
- A bigger network created to enable fellows to contribute to the global agenda; the Sustainable Development Goals, Agenda 2030 and the promotion of the Commonwealth Core Values.
- The team-spirit and interpersonal relationships built during the fellowship will greatly promote the spirit of co-existence, love and unity, with a stronger urge for nation building.
- Raise a generation of transformational leaders who will engage with the government and community to find sustainable solutions to the socio-political crises plaguing our nation, Cameroon and Africa at large.
Our MAIN BENEFICIARIES
It is part of our vision that young leaders are co-opted and businesses are created to speed up the growth of their communities and Africa at large. GAILEF has gained wide acceptance across Africa, considering the geometric increase in the number of applications received each year from across Africa. As such, this fellowship does not only host a large national audience, it is also highly solicited across Africa.
Thus, for the first time since its inception in 2016, the 2020 edition and future editions are open other young Africans leaders and Entrepreneurs who have always desired to be part of such a game-changing program.
The Fellowship is designed to annually bring together 100 young leaders and entrepreneurs from across Africa between the ages of 18 to 35 years. This decision was reached following an increase in the number of applications received each year from across Africa. The targeted participants comprise of 60% women and 40% men, selected from across different sectors in Africa and comprising of;
- Young aspiring entrepreneurs
- Young community leaders
- University Student leaders
- Young graduates with passion in leadership and entrepreneurship
- Environmental and Peace Activists
Our Core Fellowship HIGHLIGHTS
The fellowship is a ten (10) months program, with a ten (10) days on site training, beginning from the 9th – 18th August, 2020, comprising of camping, networking activities, cultural activities, community volunteerism, environmental awareness campaigns, peace buildings sessions, community leadership sessions, debates and pitching competition, recreational activities, sports and animation, award of fellowship attestations and a nine (9) months post-fellowship meet ups, online coaching and follow-up of fellows and mentorship of fellow’s engagement with government and communities.