About the CENTRE
GAICAM POLICY CENTRE was created on the 7th APRIL 2020 at the GAICAM Headquarters in Yaoundé, Cameroon, as a think tank of GAICAM and TENSO.
The Centre is a reflection of GAICAM and TENSO’s commitment to utilizing the staff as program planners, implementers and long-term thinkers, and the members as lenders of knowledge and expertise to both organizations. It is an outcome-focused body that is convened to support GAICAM and TENSO’s mission, strategic objectives or program activities.
The Centre will take the emerging strategic plan of GAICAM and TENSO to the next level, by indicating key activities that need to occur during a given period of time for both organizations to successfully execute the planned goals and effectively move forward their aspirations.
As far as policy is concerned, the Centre plays a vital role in the political and policy arena at the national and international level. Its function in this aspect is unique, as it provides public policy research, analysis and advice, and operate independently from governments and political parties. The Centre will help government understand and make informed choices about issues of domestic and international concern.
To support and enhance the missions, strategic objectives, program activities of GAICAM and TENSO as well as provide public policy research, analysis and advice to various stakeholders involved in the policy formation process.
The Centre is composed of staff members from GAICAM and TENSO. In order to achieve its goals, the Centre functions under the following offices put in place:
- The Director.
- The Secretary General.
- The Head of Department of Internal Policy and Cooperation.
- The Head of Department for National & International Policy. Issues.
FUNCTIONS and ACTIVITIES
- The Centre will take the emerging strategic plan of GAICAM and TENSO to the next level, by indicating key activities that need to occur during a given period of time for both organizations to successfully execute the planned goals and effectively move forward their aspirations.
- It serves as an informed and independent voice in public debates.
- Identifies, articulates and evaluates current policy issues, proposals and programs.
- Transforms ideas and emerging problems into policy issues.
- Interprets issues, events and policies for the electronic and print media, thus facilitating public understanding of domestic and international policy issues.
- Provides a constructive forum for the exchange of ideas and information between key stakeholders in the policy formation process.
The activities of the Centre are carried out at two levels:
At the internal level, the Centre:
- Reviews the strategic plan of GAICAM and TENSO and proposes activities/strategies that will enhance the realization of their program activities.
- Presents recommendations and indicates the way forward to GAICAM and TENSO in areas where they face challenges.
The activities of the Centre in policy issues revolve around:
- Framing policy issues.
- Researching and writing books, articles, policy briefs and monographs.
- Conducting evaluation of government projects.
- Disseminating its research findings.
- Conducting outreach activities like public testimony before events, media appearances, and speeches.
- Creating networks and exchanges via workshops, seminars, briefings. etc.